Wednesday 29 April 2015

Food delights of England!

Now before you go off and say that there is plenty of good food in England I will agree with you - yes there is!
Currently I am sitting in a Hotel in Wales surrounded by about 50 Restaurants with every sort of food you may ever desire.
I though would like to comment on some quirky things that we have found so far that are just not right!
You know how sometimes you might travel to somewhere new and you get to enjoy their cuisine and think...mmm..maybe I will go home and try to eat more like that.
Well....I havent said that about England.
The English have a real skill at taking perfectly good food and twisting it into something quite....unusual.


Take for instance the Cornish Pastie.
Now I am sure that it was designed as a food to fill you up with a whole lot of vege and anything that was left over from the meals from days before.
But that pastry was never meant to be eaten!
And it should not be eaten today!
I have never tasted anything so salty and so doughy in my life!

Another great quandary is why the English serve potato chips, from a packet with sandwiches?


Here is a picture of my meal today which was perfect except for the chips!
I guess that they might think that the chips are my portion of 'vege' for the day?
But totally not required.

The coffee is another thing - I have had quite a few while being here and I have to say that the coffee has gone from bad to worse.
When you press a button and the coffee and frothed milk comes out of one tube then its not a proper coffee no matter how much you think it is.


And lets finish on 'cream teas'.
Now these are yummy - but after about two or three I really dont want any more. Clotted cream - now that stuff is so thick you need a knife to cut it! But you can cover everything with that stuff and it will taste great!

Scones, as with many of the cakey items I have come across so far, are very stodgy and heavy.
I am afraid that its time for the Metamusil!


No comments:

Post a Comment